8.17.2008

Textbooks

Yesterday I got 2 books I will need for learning Japanese at my Uni during the fall semester. They are called... Genki(?). Anyway, I looked them over a bit, and my initial reaction is that they seem a bit confusing. I see a lot of Japanese submersion right from the get-go and I can't really follow along much (as I don't know what the heck is written).


Are they any good? I sure hope so.

Hiragana Update: Still working on the 15 first symbols.

QOTD: Did you use Genki to study Japanese? If not, what textbooks did you use?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi sebby,

I used "Teach Yourself: Beginner's Japanese Script", which i found useful, though some said that starting with kanji wasn't the best thing for a beginner, but i don't think so. My JAP teacher scanned a book for us and i think it is like yours /red.

Regards,
Maryam@JOL

Anonymous said...

My university uses 'Minna no Nihongo', for beginners at least. However, I do keep hearing that Genki is a good series too.

A lot of selfeducators also benefit from books like 'Japanese for Busy People'.

cheers,
Ank

Anonymous said...

My University (Rutgers) uses Genki. I actually recently finished genkiII and started "Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese", which is okay, but I miss Genki >__<;;;

Either way, it was awesome! I thought the ongoing story from GenkiI to GenkiII was clever and interesting. Hope you enjoy it!

がんばって!!!